A podcast is a series of digital computer files, usually either digital audio or video, that is released periodically and made available for download by means of web syndication. (Wikipedia, July 2009) It allows anyone to create a file, and allow the world to hear what they have to say. On face value, this is a powerful and useful tool. You can listen to your favorite talk show, hear a training seminar that you were unable to attend, or listen to a lecture on American History from another university. The great thing about this technology is that you can download the file you want to listen to onto your iPod and take it with you.
I have never podcasted before, but I enjoyed learning about it. I started my journey with a YouTube video. I found this to be a great resource. It gave you several websites to try, and listed the advantages of them. You can find the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hrBbczS9I0. I would highly suggest watching the video as a great place to get started.
I choose to use iTunes as a way to see different podcasts that are available. iTunes has such a rich assortment of podcasts available. I found a podcast called "The Low Budget Radio Show", sports casts, National Geography, and medical podcasts. I think if you are interested in it, you can find a podcast about it. I found iTunes to be very userfriendly, and easy to follow. You can download the software for free, which is a nice feature and makes it available to more people.
Before starting this project I had a very narrow view of what a podcast was, and how that is could be used. I primarily viewed it as a tool for entertainment. After sifting through the information on podcasting, I can see where this would be a great tool to use in an educational setting. How wonderful would it be to get a podcast from your principle with all the information you need for the upcoming week? Teachers could podcast their lession plans for the students that needed extra help when it came time for the homework.
I recorded a podcast on my own. I wanted to try and record something to see how hard it was. I spoke on my favorite subject...books. I reviewed the Twilight series. It was fun to do and not very hard.
(2009, July 14). Wikopedia: Podcasts. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from Wikopedia: the free encyclopedia Web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great blog! I love that once you got used to the idea of what one was, you recorded one of your own, to try it out. also, I like the suggestions of uses in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteYou had some good ideas about how to use podcasting in the classroom. Technology is a wonderful tool to engage students in their learning and get them excited!
ReplyDeleteI worked with a teacher last year who created podcasts for each of the 7 Keys to Comprehension. It took her a lot of time to create the script, but the end result was worth it. The podcast was a wonderful tool to help educate parents. Here is the link to her podcasts: http://www.pike.k12.in.us/schools/nasc/classes/kwallace/7+keys.htm